Monday, January 7, 2013

Chicken Noodle Soup

I've had so much fun cooking lately. We're trying to buy less processed things because first of all, they're really expensive, and second, they're really not that good for you. As a result, I'm cooking more from scratch. It's a lot of work, but it's been really rewarding. Not only has it been keeping me busy while I'm not working, but Damon's really enjoyed eating it :)
Tonight (well actually, I started it last night) we had homemade chicken soup! It's my sister Taylor's recipe, and it was SO YUMMY! And fairly easy.
A few weeks ago I made a chicken. After I made it, Damon picked all the extra chicken off of it that we didn't eat, and I froze that and the bones. I had used a recipe online that turned out really yummy and juicy.



Last night we got home from family night and I pulled out the bones and put them in the crock pot. I just covered the bones with cool water and let it sit on low all night long til about 1 this afternoon (must cook it at least 8 hours). I seasoned it last night, but this being my first time making soup I went on the safe side and didn't salt it enough (we found out when we sat down to eat it tonight) I put in lowry's, salt, pepper, oregano and basil.

By the time we woke up this morning the house smelled amazing! I let the broth cool for about an hour and then strained it into a pot using a thin kitchen towel (I didn't have cheesecloth). I chopped up fresh carrots and celery and put that and the leftover shredded chicken in the pot on the stove along with some barley.

Now, you could totally do it with noodles but we thought the barley might be a little better for us, and we both love it. Next time I will probably add more. I cooked that for about 2 hours til the veggies were soft and the barley was done. We both added a little salt to our bowls, but it was so delish and easy that I will definitely do it this way again!

Here you can see the broth after I strained it but before the veggies >

 Fresh veggies and the chicken I froze! ^


The veggies in the
broth as it's 
cooking >






<The finished 
product!

I'm also making Amish bread too, but I didn't get started soon enough so we aren't having it for dinner, but for more of an after dinner snack :) It was really easy, and even if you're not a big bread maker you could make this. 







What you'll need for the bread:

4 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp Butter
3 tsp salt
1 1/2 C hot water
2 Tbsp rapid rise yeast
5 C flour


Put all ingredients but the flour into the mixer (I used my kitchenAid) and let it sit for a few minutes so the yeast can start to work. Add the flour in small batches (I used half wheat, half white) and mix with a dough hook for 8-10 minutes. Remove and place in a bowl that has been greased. Let it rise for 30 minutes or until it has doubled in size. Pinch down and divide into 2 round loaves and place on a greased cookie sheet. cut slits on top and let rise again. 

The recipe calls for an egg white wash but I used butter instead. Bake at 400 degrees
for 17-20 minutes.

The bread was delish but next time I may use less wheat flour.

I hope these recipes are helpful to all of you. I really urge you to try the soup. It's not as hard as it sounds and it's so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment